VEGANUARY: WEEK 4
I did it! I bloody did it! I say that like it was an epic feat but the reality is, eating plant-based ain't that tough. Once you commit, tell your support crew, and start making conscious food decisions, it becomes quite addictive.
The food decisions start flowing over into makeup and skincare choices, clothing....you start to question "how was that made?" "was a person or animal harmed for me to get it?" "will it improve my health?"
Without going too far, it's an awakening. You see the world for what it actually is and how it operates. Makes me a little bit sick to be honest.
The take home message: the pros far outweigh any cons.
So let's talk about those, for a moment. Weigh it up for yourself.
1. People give you "the look" when you utter the word vegan. Just say it again ;)
2. You may need to do a quick google or make a phone call before heading out to a new restaurant
3. Your clothes may fit a little looser. Tear drop. (I dropped 3kg. No dieting, no stress.)
4. Your free time is now taken up with reading cookbooks, cooking, talking about cooking and shopping at farmers markets...
1. The energy! It's such a boost I feel like I'm constantly well rested (which I'm not, don't be silly).
2. The cooking! I've got my cooking mojo back, testing recipes, trying new ingredients, getting all Masterchef in the kitchen.
3. The skin! Oh my goodness the skin. Every single person I've spoken to regarding veganism has raved about the amazing skin it creates. I am now one of them. Goodbye acne, goodbye tired eyes, hello youth!
4. The warm, fuzzy feeling knowing I'm being kind to animals and the planet. Afterall, I love animals. The least I can do is, well, not eat them.
So what now?
It's not just about food. I am a mad hatter of an animal lover, the maddest. If there is an animal in distress within a 5 suburb radius I will find it and bring it home. Friends and family will vouch for this.
So for me, a vegan diet fits in with my values, morals, and lifestyle. I met a vegan woman the other day who said "It's the greatest diet in the world, but if I really crave something I have a piece of haloumi and move on." I believe that attitude is the key to a stress free transition.
Like any other diet, there's no wagon to fall off of, just choices to make day to day.
Incorporating more plant foods is a simple way to make a huge impact on your health. No matter what your diet: omnivore, vegetarian, paleo, gluten free... it is something we should all get on top of. Our future selves will thank us!
Lillako incorporates nutrition tracking and guidance into all coaching programs. The goal is to educate about intuitive eating, plant-based nutrition and ditching the diet life for good.
Get your nutrition back on track here.